Herderick named to America Makes Executive Committee
America Makes recently announced the election of Dr. Edward D. Herderick, the director of additive manufacturing at Ohio State’s Center for Design and Manufacturing Excellence (CDME), to its new Executive Committee. In the role, Herderick will help guide the organization’s strategic advisory group, focusing on strategy, policy, and advocacy.
America Makes is the nation’s leading and collaborative partner in additive manufacturing and 3D printing technology research, discovery, creation, and innovation. Based in Youngstown, Ohio, America Makes is structured as a public-private partnership with member organizations from industry, academia, government, non-government agencies, and workforce and economic development resources.
The America Makes membership community is working together to innovate and accelerate additive manufacturing to increase our nation’s global manufacturing competitiveness. America Makes is the first of eight Manufacturing Innovation Institutes established and managed by the U.S. Department of Defense as public-private partnerships.
“I’m excited to contribute as a member of the Executive Committee,” Herderick said. “Working with all major segments of the additive manufacturing value chain — from research to suppliers to OEMs — is a key part of CDME’s mission. Collaborating with America Makes is a great extension of that mission.”
Members of the America Makes 2020-21 Executive Committee include:
- Stephanie Gaffney, Director of Advanced Manufacturing Program, Youngstown Business Incubator (YBI)
- Sandra DeVincent Wolf, Director of Research Partnerships, College of Engineering Executive Director, NextManufacturing Center & Manufacturing Futures Initiative, Carnegie Mellon University
- Ed Herderick, Ph.D., Director of Additive Manufacturing, The Center for Design and Manufacturing Excellence (CDME), Ohio State University
- John Barnes, Founder, The Barnes Group Advisors
- Melanie Lang, Co-Founder & CEO, FormAlloy
- Jim Monroe, AM Director, American Additive Manufacturing, LLC
- Brian Rosenberger, LM Fellow, Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Company
- Raymond “Corky” Clinton, Ph.D., Associate Director, Science and Technology Office, NASA Marshall Space Flight Center
- Alan Pentz, Ph.D., Additive Manufacturing Implementation Lead, Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Navy [Research, Development, Test, & Evaluation DASN (RDT&E)]
- Mike McKittrick, Ph.D., Program Manager – R&D Consortia, U.S. Department of Energy | Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy Advanced Manufacturing Office
“I am excited to begin working with this class of newly elected Executive Committee members,” America Makes Executive Director John Wilczynski said. “Our Executive Committees have always had membership diversification built into the structure. However, this Executive Committee has an additional level of diversity with representation from every part of the additive manufacturing value chain. They will play an integral role in providing strategic guidance and sharing their unique perspectives as we continue to execute our mission.”
Committee members serve two-year terms and convene monthly via conference calls. The group also meets in-person during the America Makes Members Meeting & Exchange (MMX) event in Youngstown, Ohio, in the fall.
Visit America Makes to access the official announcement.